Today's task is to:
- build a single page application with vue.js and TypeScript
- enable authentication and authorization through organizational accounts using adal.js
- get some data from SharePoint site using PnP.js library
As usual, the full code is available here at GitHub.
Let's get started! More...
This year I hear “Web Components” term from here and there more frequently. What exactly is Web Components?
Web components is a set of W3C standards, which describe how everything fits together in browser. Not all browsers fully supports all web components’ specifications. Google Chrome has full support, Firefox is developing a few remaining things and Edge has the worst support: More...
A few weeks ago I’ve created an issue around Webpack 2 support for SPFx build pipeline. And there are some good reasons why it’s a good idea to use webpack 2 in SPFx:
- webpack 1 is deprecated
- documentation for webpack 2 is better
- webpack 2 schema more understandable
- sometimes webpack 2 faster (it depends, but still)
- all core webpack loaders supports version 2 and might have issues with previous version down the road
- SPFx introduced as a framework which supports modern web technologies and tools. Someone use Angular, React, someone Vue.js. Vue.js uses webpack 2 and it’s more natural to use webpack 2 with Vue when building SPFx web parts
Finally a few days ago SPFx team released a new version which built with webpack 2! And that’s a good news.
I had to fix all samples around Vue.js and SPFx, because webpack schema is changed. But now I personally feels more comfortable about extending SPFx with Vue.js, because at least they are using the same version of bundler.
Please checkout updated samples with Vue.js in official repository here - https://github.com/SharePoint/sp-dev-fx-webparts/tree/master/samples/vuejs-todo-single-file-component and experimental sample where everything in .vue file (including TypeScript code) - https://github.com/s-KaiNet/spfx-vue-sfc-one-file
What is Vue? One can say that’s just another js framework but that’s not true. Vue.js is a progressive framework for building user interfaces for web. Now days it’s not so popular as Angualr and React, but community growing extremely fast and some bloggers predict that Vue in 2017 will be as popular as Angular or even React. Main github repository has 42K stars on a moment of writing, for comparison angular 1 has 58K and angular 2 only 20K. For me Vue looks very very promising and it’s definitely good reason to take a look at this framework. In this post you will see how to create very basic client web part with Vue.js. Let’s get started.
Create new empty directory and run